Search Wales

Activity Centres | Packages | Brochures | Images | Videos | Holiday Reviews | Experience Days

Thursday 23 April 2009

Just a little Hello really...


Feels like I haven't been in touch for a little while now, in truth the Easter break bookings had my undivided attention and so I'm afraid that you lot got shifted to the back seat. I do like being a busy little bee though, it makes you feel like you have achieved something with your day you know, served a purpose type of thing.

Gosh I am sleeping lately though, I think it may have something to do with my intense training for the Pembrokeshire Dawn Walk in May. Every Saturday and Sunday, no time for a lie in as I jump with joy out of my warm, cosy bed at 7 on the dot...wash, change, breakfast out of the door with my pooch by half past! I am up to walking around 18 miles twice a week at the moment with the odd 6 thrown in during the middle of the week, though I am thinking that I need to start increasing that slightly now by an extra few miles. I am walking 26 miles on Sunday 17th May and so I don't think I am doing to badly really, though I am getting a little bit worried about mum though. My mum is the reason I am doing it in a way, thought I would keep her company whilst out walking and things you know, however she is having a little trouble with her back recently which is preventing her from training. Hopefully all should be better by the weekend perhaps, so next week we can get cracking. I do highly recommend walking as a cheap, enjoyable and strangely relaxing activity, that to me would beat slogging in the gym any day!

Well what terrific weather shone on the UK over Easter, wasn't it glorious?! My freckles burst with energy as the rays beamed down and finally I have collected a little colour on my cheeks! First time for us in the water this year too over the weekend just passed. The trouble is though, because the boat goes into hibernation out of the way of the winter chill, you try to jam pack as much Wake boarding into the summer months as you can to get you looking as though you know what you are doing. But by the time you trudge through the winter and the spring knocks on the door again you have forgotten how to stand up! Ok, so that may be a slight exaggeration, but not by much!

To me personally, I think that getting on your cossie and plunging into the depths is a fantastic feeling, I do appreciate that wonderful water doesn't appeal to everyone though, but for those that are keen on getting to grips with water sports, I pledge that you should really get your adrenalin juices flowing this season. Coasteering has got to be on the top of your list, action packed and suitable for all ages and abilities, exploring the crooks and crannies of the limestone cliffs and taking the leap into the blue waters below. Kite surfing is another top class sport combining the thrill of the wash and determined control of the kite, this is a popular sport gradually sweeping our beautiful Pembrokeshire Coast.

I really do hope that this marvellous weather continues well into the summer, I was informed actually by Gemma who works with Activity Wales in our South County office in Tenby, that if the birds nests are high in the branches then we are heading for some rather warm weather - so I find myself now studying each tree to see whats occurring! Not so good if the cows are lying down though...

4 comments:

Julia said...

Your post is very interesting and helpful. I'll be a beginner walking the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park path in a few months. Any tips or advice you could give a beginner? I'm not yet familiar with the terrain of that particular path, but I've gone up to 20 miles on similar mountainous paths, but in the United States. I'll be staying near the starting point at Amroth Castle and plan to start training - I'd like to work my way up to 50 miles if I can. What areas does the Pembrokeshire Dawn Walk cover?

Natalie said...

Thank you for your interest Julia, I do begin to wonder whether people actually read the babble that I tend to write...so a very big thank you!
The 26 mile Pembrokeshire Dawn Walk starts at Withybush Hospital, Haverfordwest and finishes in Cresselly Cricket Club - we don't actually walk the Coastal path on this trip it tends to be a lot more road based. Any part of the coastal path is simply outstanding to walk, I would recommend the Stackpole Quay/Barafundle Bay section, Whitesands/Solva and Angle to Freshwater West. Though, to be honest all of the trail is worth the trip. Follow this link and you can view the different sections from St Dogmael's (North to Amroth (South):
http://nt.pcnpa.org.uk/website/sitefiles/nat_trail.asp

Julia said...

Thanks for the additional info Natalie - very helpful. I have been enjoying your blog and will be checking back often! Julia

Natalie said...

Thanks Julia, I will do my best to keep you entertained!