Search Wales

Activity Centres | Packages | Brochures | Images | Videos | Holiday Reviews | Experience Days

Sunday 25 January 2009

Dawn Walk


A few days ago I set a challenge to myself to join my mum and dad in partaking in the Dawn Walk, Pembrokeshire to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Research. A couple of days on and I am beginning to wonder whether training for a 26 mile walk is a little too adventurous!

I used (and I stress that word greatly) to be a relatively fit kind of person, riding two horses pretty much everyday of the week, with the riding came the mucking out, carrying the hay bales, the large water buckets, walking to the field to round them up and now I do absolutely nothing, diddly squat. So there you have my problem, I cannot begin to imagine where I start to be honest!

Martin (my partner), is being very reluctant in joining us at the moment, I think the damage it would do to his regular drinking schedule is more than my life is worth. So, I am zipping my trap and hoping that when he sees my figure taking shape and my glowing skin (I will hide the rather disgusting foot sores), that he will not think twice about jumping on the wagon and making our team complete.

At this point I would just like to add that if anybody out there has any advice whatsoever about how I begin devising my training session, your knowledge and fine wisdom would be greatly received! In other words don't hold back...!

I was debating whether to let my mum and dad be the brave candidates and take a back seat by joining them half way at the 13 mile point, but I did think that would just be a little bit lazy. If I am going to do this then I might as well go the whole hog, right? You can though take that option if you don't fancy the 26 mile slog, I think either goal is fair play.

The date is set for Sunday 17th May 2009 and will begin at 06.00am sharp. I can't understand why on earth such a time has been invented, but I suppose that is the whole point of the title, 'Dawn Walk' really isn't it, so if you began at say 09.00am you may have to revert to the 'Mid Morning Walk' instead. But let's not get into all that jazz and concentrate on the cause behind sores. See what I did there?!

Macmillan Cancer Support is an outstanding charity that doesn't need any other explanation than what it says on the surface. They provide great support for those who live affected by cancer, along with their families, friends and carers. I would also like just to mention that they have set themselves one mighty impressive mission, in that their primary goal for 2010 is to reach and and improve the lives of everyone living with cancer. Good luck!

When I hear that goal and then turn the attention to my own goal in being able to somehow walk 26 miles in a few months from now, I have to say that my goal does sound a lot more possible than I once thought.

That is why I am going to train hard, drink water and only have a bag of chips once a week and complete that Dawn Walk of 2009! I will most definitely keep you posted during my progression to fit bird!

No comments: